‘Arrival’ – Ella Finch
When I first saw the theme for this year’s poetry competition, I’ll admit, I was stumped; ‘Arrival’. Eventually, I managed to come up with a few random ideas but I don’t have the time to write a poem for each of them, so I thought I’d share them with you to encourage more people to enter the competition.
1. You’ve just landed on an uncharted alien planet – describe your reaction to what you can see
2. The first feeling of hatred for something (go against the grain and use hate instead of love)
3. Where are you in your life today? How did you get here? Consider these questions and write down the answers in a poem
4. Write a poem based on history, such as a refugee arriving at their new home during WW1 or 2
5. Write a poem about the arrival of spring from the perspective of a hibernating bear
So there you have just a few starting points for your own poems, and you can adapt them in any way you like to suit your writing. Enjoy!