Joe Barraclough: The man beneath the coat
Joe is a man of mystery, and we’re just desperate to know what he’s really interested in. I asked around Nelson what people would like to know about Joe, and here’s what they came up with…
- What is your dream job? A time Lord (like Doctor Who)
- Why are you so interested in football when your family prefer rugby? My dad actually likes football just as much; but I prefer football because I can play with my dad quite a lot now that he can no longer play rugby. My family support Leeds United, as do I, but I also support Manchester, which gets me called a glory hunter.
- What are your three desert island discs? Queen Greatest Hits, Robbie Williams Swing When You’re Winning, and Best of Acoustic Jethro Tull.
- What is your favourite football skill? Bolasie flick.
- Who inspired you to play the harp? It was a mixture of inspirations from the archetypal Guinevere type character – who plays the harp in a room which is big enough to do much more than just put a harp in – it also features in Lord of the Rings, the elves play and its very graceful.
- Out of 10, how much do you love your sixth form coat? 11
- If you could be one teacher, who would it be and why? Mr Routledge, as he’s Head of Classics, he also occupies a nice role as the school cynic, which is a fun role to play
- What quote or phrase do you live by? “The unexamined life is not worth living.”- Socrates
- How far have you gone in your Chess? I’m actually the under 17s county champion, I entered the regional finals last year and was undefeated in my age group.
- How would people communicate in your perfect world? Concisely, there would not be an excess of flowery language; but eloquence would still be preferred over bluntness, as far as meaning can be preserved.
- If you could liken yourself to one famous person, dead or alive, who would it be, and why? Tim Minchin, (musical comedian) he’s got a good sense of humour, and is very intelligent. We also share many worldly views.
- How did you get so good at Table Tennis? By playing people who are better than me.
- What do you think about Trump? He is either an idiot who happens to share an ideology or a common denominator with the majority of Americans, or a genius with a plan to do something that nobody expects, which is terrifying.
- What/who inspires your horror writing? There’s no clear inspiration, but from somewhere I got the idea of murder as an art form- I sort of took that idea and ran with it- the villain’s intelligence is inspired sort of by Moriarty from Sherlock.